Pregnancy is the time when women go under a lot of changes. Back pain at the time of pregnancy is not at all surprising, but then, it still deserves your attention. Here are 7 ways to relieve back pain during pregnancy:
1. Avoid wearing high heels. Wear low-heeled, not flat shoes with good arch support. You can also go for a maternity support belt.
2. As the months pass, your baby grows, your center of gravity shifts forward. To avoid falling forward, you might compensate by leaning back – which can strain the muscles in your lower back and contribute to back pain during pregnancy. Here are the principles of good posture that you should keep in mind: Hold your chest high, stand up straight and tall, keep your shoulders back and relaxed, and last but not the least don’t lock your knees.
3. Use a heating pad to apply heat to your back, or try ice packs. Rubbing your back can also be helpful.
4. Proper sleeping posture. Avoid sleeping on your back, sleep on your side. Keep one or both knees bent. Consider using pregnancy or support pillows between your bent knees, under your abdomen and behind your back.
5. Include physical activity in your routine as Regular physical activity can keep your back strong and might actually relieve back pain during pregnancy
6. Act carefully at the time of lifting something. When lifting a small object, squat down and lift with your legs. Don’t bend at the waist or lift with your back. It’s also important to know your limits.
7. A number of researches have suggested that acupuncture can help relieve back pain during pregnancy. So, do consider complementary therapies.