India is a land of culture, diversity and delicious foods. You can talk for hours about Indian food. The country has 29 states and these states have countless mouth-watering dishes to serve to foodies. To enhance your knowledge about Indian food, here are some astonishing facts:
1. India produces many kinds of spices and it is the reason why the country is called ‘the land of spices’.
2. Indians use tomato and chili almost in every dish, but do you know these ingredients don’t have Indian origin? Portuguese took them to India.
3. In 1960s, the first Indian restaurant was opened in the US. Presently, there are thousands of Indian restaurants in the US.
4. The famous Indian dish ‘Chicken tikka masala’ is actually not an Indian curry. Its recipe was devised in Scotland.
5. Indian food has six different flavors: salty, sweet, sour, spicy, bitter and astringent.
6. Indians consume about 50% whiskey of the world.
7. Before refined sugar, people in India used honey to add sweet flavor in a dish.
8. British people also love to eat Indian pickles. They have also named Indian pickles as ‘Major Grey’s’.